Peace Camp in La Realidad Chiapas
To document acts of aggression against support bases of the Zapatista Army of National Liberation, the Fray Bartolomé de Las Casas Human Rights Centre is installing a Permanent Peace Camp in La Realidad, Chiapas, from Wednesday June 4, 2014.
In light of the recent attacks on Zapatista autonomy, the Frayba Centre calls for national and international civil society to carry out human rights observation. In the Caracol of La Realidad, members of the Independent Central of Agricultural Workers and Campesinos killed José Luis Solis, wounded 15 Zapatista bases, and destroyed the clinic and school of the community, on 2 May.
The Brigades of Civil Observation are "a civil space that helps to keep up hope, preserve dignity and try to rebuild the social fabric of communities, with respect to their own dynamic and in accordance with the self-determination of indigenous peoples."
Some of the requirements for participation in the Peace Camp in La Realidad are:
1. Have a letter of endorsement and confirmation of preparedness from an organisation in solidarity.
2. Have the ability to speak Spanish fluently.
3. Have a minimum availability of a week to stay in a community.
4. Be over 18.
5. Provide a photocopy of documents:
– For Mexicans: electoral or school credentials or current driving licence.
– For foreigners: passport and valid visa.
6. A current photo.
7. Complete the registration form for participants. (Which will be provided on arrival)
8. Attend preparatory workshops held by the coordinators, which are conducted on Mondays at 11:00 am
Do you meet these requirements and want to participate? Write to us at bricos
Tel: 967 6787395, 967 6787396
Or go directly to the Frayba offices: Brasil 14 Barrio de los Mexicanos, San Cristóbal de las Casas Chiapas
Fray Bartolomé de Las Casas Human Rights Centre, San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas. June 2, 2014