Sign the Different Faces of Dispossession Petition
Mr. Enrique Peña Nieto, President of the Republic,
Mr. Miguel Angel Osorio Chong, Secretary of the Interior,
Mr. Jesús Murillo Karam, Attorney General’s Office of Mexico,
Mr. Manuel Velasco Coello, Governor of the State of Chiapas,
Mr. Oscar Eduardo Aguilar Ramírez, Secretary General of the State Government of Chiapas,
Mr. Raciel Lopez Salazar, Attorney General of Chiapas,
The Faces of the Dispossessed is born in the context of governmental policies throughout the last decades that have commercialized the natural resources of the ancestral territories of the Peoples of Chiapas. They are part of the Mexican government’s historical refusal to recognize the collective rights of Indigenous Peoples.
One of these Faces is the situation of internal displacement in Chiapas, part of the territorial dispossession that is occurring systematically. The Mexican government is one of the persistent violators of human rights.
For many years now communities have been building the defense of their rights, demanding justice, and the return of their lands and territories, without a satisfactory response from competent authorities.
We join the Faces of the Dispossessed Campaign that in its first phase shines light on the displacement of three communities:
Viejo Velasco, in the municipality of Ocosingo; Banavil, in the municipality of Tenejapa; and San Marcos Avilés, in the municipality of Chilón. These three cases are related to the causes and the consequences of the Internal Armed Conflict in Chiapas, from the time of the armed uprising of the Zapatista Army of National Liberation on January 1st, 1994.
We demand that the Mexican government respond to the following petitions:
- Adopt all of the necessary measures to guarantee the return of community members who have suffered forced displacement; who have the right to their property, freedom of movement and residence, and the true enjoyment of their lands and the natural resources found within them.
- Guarantee the safety, the psychological and physical integrity, and the very lives of the displaced families.
- Conduct a complete investigation that is impartial, effective, and immediate with the goal of identifying and sanctioning those intellectually and materially responsible for forced displacement and other human rights violations.
- Justice and reparation within the framework of international treaties signed and ratified by the Mexican government, as well as the application of the Guiding Principles on Internal Displacement.
- Implement all measures necessary to ensure that these grave human rights violations are never repeated.
Sign the petition here: http://www.rostrosdeldespojo.org/participate/petition/