Two Very Intense Weeks in Chiapas
It began on Monday, July 11, in Tuxtla Gutiérrez with the teachers’ mega-march. Then, the EZLN issued 2 comunicados, one to the teachers containing 2 videos and the other announcing that they will present some of their artistic works on one day. On Monday, July 18, Pueblo Creyente marched again in support of the teachers, while the only remaining roadblock continued to build support and become a people’s movement in San Cristóbal de las Casas. Suddenly, it was violently evicted on Wednesday, July 20 and the EZLN issued a strong letter to the Governor of Chiapas.
1. Mega-March fills Tuxtla Gutiérrez– This article describes the statewide reach that the teachers’ movement in Chiapas has achieved.
2. EZLN: For the teacher with affection – This Zapatista comunicado is dedicated to the teachers and sends them 2 videos of music and dance that they prepared for CompArte.
3. The geography? Oventik. The calendar? July 29, 2016 – This comunicado announces that the Zapatistas have decided to participate in the CompArte Festival for one day – July 29 – in the Caracol of Oventik!
4. In Chiapas, thousands march in support of the CNTE – Pueblo Creyente (Believing People) demonstrated its strong support for the teachers from indigenous Catholics belonging to the Diocese of San Cristóbal de las Casas and their parish priests.
5. Violent eviction of the CNTE from Chiapas occupation – Masked thugs arrived at the occupation and roadblock with sticks, machetes and guns. They drove the occupation out, destroyed the encampment and burned it. The teachers and citizens returned the same evening and re-installed the occupation and encampment.
6. EZLN: Open letter on the San Cristóbal attacks – The full title of this Zapatista comunicado is: "Open letter on the aggressions against the People’s Movement in San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Chiapas." It is an important letter to the Governor of Chiapas!