Final report on the Week of Worldwide Action in Solidarity with the the ejidatarios of San Sebastián Bachajón
held from 4th to 10th December, 2016.
To our sisters and brothers of the ejido San Sebastián Bachajón
To our compañer@s adherents to the Sixth Declaration of the Lacandón Jungle throughout the world
To our Zapatista compañer@s
To the National Indigenous Congress (CNI)
To the people of Mexico and the world
Compañeras and compañeros, We send you combative greetings and thanks for your participation in the Week of Worldwide action in solidarity with the the ejidatarios of San Sebastián Bachajón, which took place from Sunday 4th to Saturday 10th December, 2016, International Human Rights Day.
The words of our compañero the indigenous activist Hugo Blanco Galdos from Peru give echo to all our efforts of solidarity during this week: “The attack on compañero Domingo Pérez Álvaro from San Sebastián Bachajón is a sign that the oppressive system headed by Peña Nieto intends to crush the community of San Sebastián Bachajón. We must all raise our voices in protest so that the oppressors know that the brothers and sisters of that community are not alone.”
With the full support of the compas of la Sexta Bachajón, including Domingo Pérez Álvaro, and the family of Juan Vázquez Guzmán, who sent a videomessage in support, activities took place in Canada, England, Germany, Italy, Mexico, Peru, Spain, the United States and Uruguay. These included demonstrations, talks, exhibitions, pronouncements, discussions and the screening and production of videos, in which we all made a global echo of the following demands:
- Respect for the fundamental human rights of the indigenous Tseltal peoples of San Sebastián Bachajón, and guarantees for their security and integrity
- Respect and guarantees for their right to the full use and enjoyment of their territory and to self-determination and the construction of their autonomy
- An end to the plunder and dispossession and the theft of commons,
- An end to the permanent police presence and the militarisation of the area, and to the threats and violence which are being experienced
- A full and fair investigation into the material and intellectual authors of the assassinations of Juan Vázquez Guzmán and Juan Carlos Gómez Silvano and a comprehensive investigation into the savage attack on Domingo Pérez Álvaro, and punishment of those responsible
- Freedom and justice for Esteban Gómez Jiménez, prisoner in Cintalapa de Figueroa, and for Santiago Moreno Pérez and Emilio Jiménez Gómez, prisoners in Playas de Catazaja.
We thank you for your solidarity and support, and ask you all to remain alert and aware and responsive as to what may take place in the ejido San Sebastián Bachajón, and to hold the three levels of government and their lackeys responsible for any acts of aggression.
Land, Freedom and Justice for the Ejidatarios of San Sebastián Bachajón!
State police out of indigenous territory!
Stop the Aggressions against the Adherents to the Sexta!
Freedom and Justice for prisoners!
Juan Vázquez Guzmán Lives! The Bachajón struggle continues!
Juan Carlos Gómez Silvano Lives! The Bachajón struggle continues!
Long Live the EZLN! Long live the CNI!
With embraces of Love and Solidarity,
Hermann Bellinghausen, Mexico
Movement for Justice in el Barrio, United States
Raúl Zibechi, Uruguay
Sylvia Marcos, Mexico
Jean Robert, Mexico
Gustavo Esteva Figueroa, Mexico
Dorset Chiapas Solidarity Group, England
Hugo Blanco Galdos, Peru
Malú Huacuja del Toro, United States
Circulo de las Primeras Naciones de l’UQAM, Canada
John Gibler, Mexico
For further information see the Bachajón website: https://vivabachajon.wordpress.com/
Video message of thanks from La Sexta Bachajon: